Spring Herbed Asparagus Frittata
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups water
- 12 ounces asparagus (with ends snapped off)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ½ medium white onion, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dill
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced and seeded
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 4 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Garnish with fresh chives or dill if desired
- Set oven to broil.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add asparagus and cook until just tender.
- Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water until cool.
- Drain and chop into ½-inch-long pieces.
- In a 10-inch oven-proof skillet, heat oil.
- Saute onions until translucent, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add in parsley, dill, green onions, asparagus, and tomato. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the asparagus mixture.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until eggs are almost set.
- Place skillet in oven and continue to cook until browned on top.
- Cut into 4 quarters and garnish with fresh chives or dill.
Recipe by AccentHealth Chef Donna Brousseau.